A stellar field of modified drivers were in attendance for the IMCA Weekly racing event Saturday May 7th at Dodge City Raceway Park. Clay Money, Cody Gearhart, Tanner Black, and Kelsie Foley were just a few of the names who finished in the top five. These drivers mixed it up throughout the 15 lap A-main, with exciting 2 and 3 wide racing at times. In the end, Dakota Sproul out of Hays, Kansas prevailed after starting 6th, winning his second feature event this season at the raceway. Dakota was also the winner of the first heat race and heat race as 2 and 3 were picked up by Jake Nightingale from Hutchinson and Turpin, Oklahoma’s Cody Gearhart.
In the Sport Modified class, Brendan Nordyke was all smiles as he pounded the top of his #9JR racer in Victory Lane. The junior Nordyke picked up his first win at DCRP followed closely by his father Monty Nordyke who finished second in A-main. The Nordykes were chased by local driver Brian May who finished a respectable third. Garden City racer Ryan Kirchoff comment to race promoters via text “Last night was a hell of a race track. Had a BLAST both watching and racing on it! Kudos to you guys, see you in a couple weeks.” Kirchoff finished 4th in the main event. Heat race one winner was Dodge City driver Brian Kreger, Heat race two was picked up by Brianna Maughlin and the final heat race win went to Brett Berry out of Colby, KS.
In the IMCA RaceSaver Sprint car class only 3 competitors turned up to compete. Last seasons points champion Taylor Velasquez, and fellow Liberal, KS driver Steven Richarson along with Quinter, KS driver Zach Blurton. The trio are the class of the field on a regular basis and always lurking for a win. Racing was tight between them but it was Zach Blurton in the 2J sprinter winning after Taylor Velasquez failed to stick a late race slide job. Less than a second separated the top 3 drivers as they crossed the finish line.
Chris Oliver was the man on the move in the Stock car class winning the A-main from the 4th starting spot. Oliver out of Syracuse, KS and Hays, KS driver Tathan Burkhart dueled for position in the feature. As Oliver came out on top this go round, Burkhart leads in the season points by 2 currently. This will be a battle to watch throughout the summer at DCRP. Tathan Burhart’s father Troy picked up the heat race win.
Lyle Russell was another repeat winner, picking up his second of the season charging from the 9th position in the Hobby Stock class. Russell’s sister Brooke finished 4th after a DNF in the heat race. Always a contender Reagan Sellard finished second in the feature followed by Jetmore, KS driver David Berger in the 24B. Brett Copeland picked up the win in heat race one and Lyle Russell set himself up for the night after winning heat race two.
IMCA Modified 17 Entries
A Feature 1 15 Laps | 00:15:21.913
1. 08-Dakota Sproul; 2. 7-Clay Money; 3. 1M-Cody Gearhart; 4. 44T-Tanner Black; 5. 44K-Kelsie Foley; 6. 0-Kyle Rohleder; 7. 3J-Jake Nightingale; 8. 8R-Jesse Richter; 9. 7S-David Solberg; 10. 27-Grant Florence; 11. 7N-William Nusser; 12. K98-Danny Keller; 13. 21J-Jeremy Sigler; 14. (DNF) 10-TeeJay Janousek; 15. (DNF) 66D-Dylan Sherfick; 16. (DNF) 25-Kale Beavers; 17. (DNF) 05-Rick Taylor
IMCA Northern SportMod 17 Entries
A Feature 1 15 Laps | 00:21:54.255
1. 9JR-Brendyn Nordyke; 2. 9-Monty Nordyke; 3. 8-Brian May; 4. 88J-Ryan Kirchoff; 5. 64-Jimmy Brozek; 6. 17M-Brianna Maughlin; 7. 02-Matt Rucker; 8. K7-Brian Kreger; 9. 17-Ryan Keller; 10. 27G-Kamren Gruber; 11. 53F-Gordon French; 12. 56M-Russell Taylor; 13. (DNF) 11-Josh Reece; 14. (DNF) 3K-Dustin Kreger; 15. (DNF) 28D-Sage Dinkel; 16. (DNF) 9K-Dakota Kreger; 17. (DNF) 09B-Brett Berry
IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car 3 Entries
A Feature 1 15 Laps | 00:05:52.377
1. 2J-Zach Blurton; 2. 21X-Taylor Velasquez; 3. 8J-Steven Richardson
IMCA Stock Car 6 Entries
A Feature 1 15 Laps | 00:12:43.956
1. 3-Chris Oliver; 2. 250-Tathan Burkhart; 3. 19K-Kolby Stegman; 4. 25X-Troy Burkhart; 5. 19-Keith Stegman; 6. (DNS) 14-Brandon Fisher
IMCA Hobby Stock 13 Entries
A Feature 1 15 Laps | 00:15:44.928
1. 22R-Lyle Russell; 2. 2S-Reagan Sellard; 3. 24B-David Berger; 4. 12R-Brooke Russell; 5. 81-Manuel Salazar; 6. 11A-Austin Rich; 7. 11-Brendan Rich; 8. 46-Brett Copeland; 9. 17H-Hayden Ogorzolka; 10. 87-Dustin Carr; 11. (DNF) 104-Brian Thomas; 12. (DNS) 3-Calvin Reid; 13. (DNS) 69-Danny Schulte